China Labor Watch is an independent NGO that has collaborated with unions, labor organizations and the media to conduct a series of in-depth assessments of factories in China that produce toys, bikes, shoes, furniture, clothing, and electronics for some of the largest U.S. companies. CLW’s New York office creates reports from these investigations, educates the international community on supply chain labor issues, and pressures corporations to improve conditions for workers.
China Labor Watch is seeking a candidate to support the primary programmatic, research and administrative work of the organization and Executive Director. The successful candidate will have a background or interest in the labor situation in China and experience in the fundamentals of running a small NGO.
The Program Assistant will be responsible for:
- Writing reports on labor conditions and factories in China, as well as other written materials
- Managing interns and volunteers, and the flow of Chinese-English translations including CLW investigative reports and other materials for Chinese and English speaking audiences
- Attending meetings, corresponding with stakeholders, and conducting simultaneous English-Chinese and Chinese-English translation
- Managing the implementation of education and training-related programs
- Writing monthly and quarterly financial reports and keep all financial records
- Researching and composing grant proposals
- Writing and translating monthly and quarterly narrative reports
- Monitoring labor news from China and maintaining the China Labor Watch website in both English and Chinese
- Other administrative tasks
Spoken and written Mandarin Chinese and English fluency is required.
Minimum B.A., or M.A. in Social Sciences
Minimum 1-2 years work experience in NGO setting
Grant management/implementation experience preferred
Interest in China and labor issues preferred